Saplings is our program for slightly older children. In this program we build on the skills taught in the Acorns program, and start to navigate away from trails.
Example skills we teach are:
- All components of the Acorns program (your child does not need to have attended the Acorns program before attending the Saplings program)
- How to use linear features as “handrails”, even if not running on a trail
- How to fold the map and keep track of where they are by “thumbing along”
- How to use a compass
- More advanced route-choice techniques
- Basic relocation strategies if things go wrong
Values we try to instil are:
- Respect and appreciation of nature
- Courteousy and consideration of other athletes and park users
- Independence to make decisions and learn from mistakes
- Having fun while outdoors, and…
- Having fun while outdoors even if it’s raining!