Great OAKs is our advanced training program for committed juniors who want to progress further and/or compete with the best. There are no age restrictions for this program, but we do require a core level of ability before accepting applicants.
At a minimum, your child should know:
- What most symbols on an orienteering map mean.
- How to orient a map to north (with and without a compass).
- How to “thumb along” with where they are.
In the Great OAKs program, your child will learn:
- How to interpret contour lines.
- How to take bearings and run on them efficiently.
- How to plan ahead and choose optimal route choices.
- Advanced relocation techniques for when things go wrong.
We run two Great OAKs programs during the year:
- The Spring sessions use a mixture of parks and forest maps, to practice forest orienteering.
- The Fall sessions use a mixture of parks and urban areas, to practice sprint orienteering.