Acorns is our program for younger children. In this program we teach the FUNdamentals of being active, including basic map-reading and physical literacy skills. Navigation choices are kept simple – everything is on trails, or in very open grassy areas.
Example skills we teach are:
- The importance of a dynamic and active warm-up
- How to orient a map so it points north
- What important symbols on the map mean
- What an orienteering course looks like
- How to decide which trail to run down to reach the next checkpoint
- How to plan a route that involves multiple decision points (for the more advanced children)
- How to use the electronic timing system used at orienteering events
Values we try to instil are:
- Respect and appreciation of nature
- Courtesy and consideration of other athletes and park users
- Independence to make decisions and learn from mistakes
- Having fun while outdoors, and…
- Having fun while outdoors even if it’s raining!